Journaling can be a great way for children to both practice writing and record the thoughts and memories that mean a lot to them. Nothing is more special than looking through a journal from the past, and with families spending more time at home over the coming months, now is a great time to start one.
We’ve compiled a list of 52 thought-provoking journaling prompts that are perfect for elementary-aged kids. If your child hasn’t quite learned to write yet, you can always use these as writing practice, or you can help transcribe their answers so they can read them when they’re older.
1. Who is one person that you look up to and why?
2. What is your favorite memory? Write down as many details as you can remember.
3. What is one thing about today that surprised you?
4. What is one mistake you made today and what did you learn from it?
5. What are three things you’re grateful for?
6. If you could spend one day doing anything you want, what would you do?
7. What is one thing that helps you when you’re worried?
8. If you could have any pet (even a magical creature like a dragon or unicorn), what would you want? What name would you give it?
9. What’s one goal or challenge you have for yourself this week? How will you accomplish it?
10. Think about your favorite hobby or activity. Why do you love it?
11. What’s one thing that always makes you laugh?
12. Close your eyes and listen to the world around you. What sounds do you hear? Write them down.
13. Have you ever wanted to learn another language? What would you want to learn?
14. What is the strangest thing you’ve ever learned in school?
15. Write about your favorite holiday. Why is it your favorite? What’s your happiest memory associated with it?
16. Would you rather it always be summer, spring, fall, or winter? Why?
17. If you could tell your family one thing that’s been on your mind lately, what would you say?
18. Do you have any pets? What would you say to it if, one morning, it could suddenly talk?
19. What’s your favorite thing to do when you’re outside?
20. Think about one person who makes you feel loved. How do they show you that they care?
21. Have you been on a vacation? Where did you go, and what was your favorite part?
22. Pretend that you had a time machine and could travel way into the future or to the past. Where would you go? What do you think life would be like?
23. Do you have a favorite teacher? What are they like, and what’s the best thing they’ve taught you?
24. What’s the funniest knock-knock joke you can think of?
25. Write about one accomplishment you’ve reached that you’re proud of.
26. What is one interesting fact that you learned today?
27. What do you think would be the coolest job to have? Why?
28. Think about one of your friends or a family member. What do you admire about them?
29. Look out of your window. What do you see?
30. Do you have a favorite book? Why is it your favorite?
31. What do you want your life to be like when you’re grown up?
32. When you get mad or grumpy, what’s one thing that helps you calm down?
33. What’s the best advice someone has ever given you?
34. What would you do if you were the main character in your favorite fairy tale?
35. What is your favorite thing about yourself? What’s one thing you want to work on?
36. What is one of your funniest memories? Write a poem about it.
37. Think about your favorite color. What does it remind you of?
38. Who is someone you miss? What would you say to them if they were next to you right now?
39. What’s one thing you’ve never told anyone before?
40. Do you have a favorite quote? Write it down here. Why is it your favorite?
41. If you could be one of the first astronauts to go to Mars, would you? Why?
42. What do you love about your family?
43. Do you remember your first day of school? What was it like?
44. If you could talk to your future self, what would you ask?
45. If you could talk to your past self, what would you say?
46. What is one thing you’re excited about? Why?
47. If you could have any superpower, which one would you choose? What would you do with it?
48. Write down one way you’ll make the most of today.
49. What’s the best way to spend a rainy day?
50. Pretend that you could either shrink down to the size of a mouse or grow as large as a building. What would you do and why?
51. Write down three ways you could help a friend or family member today.
52. Think about a talent you wish that you had. What’s one way that you can start practicing it?