Part-Time Seasonal Position (May-August)
If you are interested in seasonal employment doing meaningful work for a non-profit organization whose mission is “to enable every child with the finest education possible by providing high-quality educational models, programs, and software,” we would like the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the possibility of you joining the Waterford team.
Waterford UPSTART is a free, computer-based, in-home, kindergarten-readiness program sponsored by the Utah State Legislature. The Waterford UPSTART program provides Utah children with an engaging reading, math and science curriculum the year before they enter Kindergarten.
We are looking for highly motivated, energetic, friendly people who enjoy working outdoors. Outreach Interns are a vital element of this important mission as they are the face of Waterford UPSTART in the community. They carry the responsibility of promoting the program and contribute to the enrollment of 15,000 children state-wide.
Waterford Research Institute offers competitive wages, an exciting, fast-paced work environment, and opportunities for:
• Networking with a wide variety of organizations across the state
• Increased cultural understanding and appreciation of Utah’s diverse communities
• Ability to strengthen Spanish language skills within a professional working environment
• Meaningful work experience that allows for personal growth and reflects positively on professional resume
Essential responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Promoting the UPSTART program throughout Utah and recruiting families with four-year-old children to participate in the program
• Preparing materials to take to events throughout the state, traveling to the event locations, setting up/tearing down.
• Outreach interns should expect to work long, sometimes all-day-long events
• Moderate physical demands
• Some travel within the State of Utah
• Flexible hours; must be able to work nights and weekends
• Candidates must have valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle. Mileage reimbursement will be issued at the rate of $0.33 per mile traveled (in accordance with Utah State Travel Guidelines). Detailed travel records must be kept for mileage reimbursements
Skills and Education Required:
• Spanish preferred (intermediate proficiency expected)
• Previous sales experience preferred
• Ability to communicate with a wide range of people (parents, community leaders, business owners, religious leaders, media outlets)
• Ability to gain trust, nourish relationships, listen attentively and articulate clearly your intended message
• Problem-solving skills, organizational skills, effective time-management skills, and the ability to take ownership of any situation
• Respect for company property and community partners
• Must be able to work under stress of meeting deadlines and changing priorities
• Ability to work closely with a team
• Upbeat, high-energy, goal-oriented, resourceful and reliable personality
• Strong written and verbal communication skills (e.g. telephone, e-mail)
• Type at least 40 WPM
• Basic experience with Microsoft Excel and Word and Internet functionality